Home Security Gives Peace of Mind and Saves You Money on Insurance Premiums
One of the most valuable possessions we can have is our home. Routine maintenance and a water tight roof can protect it from the elements however, the reality is there are other potential dangers that a solid roof and clean gutters can’t protect you from, like a thief. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) a burglary happens every 20 seconds here in the U.S.
That’s right 1 every 20 seconds. The good news is there are some best practices you can do that will help create a safe and secure home. In addition, by adding police reporting security system to your home will qualify you for discounts on your Insurance.
Here’s a list of tips from Travelers Insurance to consider in keeping your family, and possessions safe and sound from potential dangers.
1. Landscape with safety in mind - Look for areas that could be potential hiding spots for thieves and clear away any overgrown areas.
2. Know your neighbors - Take the time to meet and engage with people on your street and encourage them to watch out for any suspicious activity when you are not home.
3. Lighting - Outdoor lighting can be the difference between your home being targeted or not by burglars. Motion light fixtures can help add security and provide light when needed. Also consider using automatic timers or a smart lightbulb that can be controlled remotely to turn lights on and off in various parts of the house to help make it seem like you are home.
4. Don’t advertise your new purchases- Thieves look for and steal boxes on your front porch. Consider having packages delivered elsewhere or requiring a signature for delivery. Also, thieves look at clues in your trash or recycling, which may indicate that new TV or computer.
5. Protect your outdoor valuables – Cars parked outside should be locked overnight and free from visible valuables. Burglars target sheds, garages and other outdoor buildings. Be sure to secure your grill, lawn mower, bicycles etc. in a locked area.
6. Plan for when you are away - Hold your mail, stop your papers. Arranging for snow removal and lawn mowing while your away can help disguise that you’re not home.
If you’re interested in other ways to be safe and save money of your Homeowners insurance I invite you to contact me today for a personalized Insurance Review. I’ll translate insurance to English for you.